I Scream, You Scream

Monday, July 18, 2016

Yesterday was my absolute favorite "made-up" holidays of all time: National Ice Cream Day!!!


I wouldn't go so far as to say that I live to eat ice cream, but I also wouldn't disagree with the statement either.  About 45 minutes from where I went to college there was this old-fashioned ice cream restaurant (yes, restaurant) that has been around for 60+ years.  While my roommates and I couldn't justify going there whenever we had a craving (there were also several great shops near school that were just as good and significantly smaller), we did pay visits about once a semester.  I cannot put into words how much I love Jaxsons.  I found it on a trip with some friends in high school and only thought about going back for a roommate's birthday in August of junior year of college.  The whole atmosphere-from the license plates on the walls to the carousels out front to the sparklers on ice creams to the red-and-white old fashioned uniforms the servers wear-is absolutely incredible.  The ice cream portions are so large sometimes you have to share (see what I did there??? :)), and the sundaes are all different.  Here are the descriptions of my personal favorites pictured above:

Chocolate Suicide: death by chocolate ice cream, chocolate brownies, hot fudge, topped with whipped cream and chocolate chips, with a side car of hot fudge.

Oreo Sundae: for the Oreo lover, Oreo ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Monster Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae: a train-stoppin chocolate chip cookie buried under a heap of chocolate ice cream smothered in hot fudge, then piled high with whipped cream, chocolate chips and a cherry.

In the wise words of Love Shack: "Going to Jaxsons is like running a half marathon.  It sounds good when you first think about it so you decide to pursue it.  Then you get there and it seems a little intimidating but you go ahead with the plan.  Then you reach the point where you realize you've made a rather questionable decision and can't turn back around.  But before you know it, you're done and say that you'll never make that choice again.  But you know you'll be back again because that's just who you are and how it goes."


So, I hope y'all had a wonderful National Ice Cream Day.  Whether it was spent eating humongous offerings at Jaxsons or just a pint of Ben & Jerry's in your pajamas, I hope everyone had a great time celebrating one of America's greatest frozen desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS