Take a Peek @ My Pre-Midterms Week

Friday, March 3, 2017


Happy FriYAY!  I've decided to take this week off from doing a specific FriYAY post mostly because this week had much more going on than next week will, and because starting today I will be 80% in midterm madness mode and 20% in the "taper crazies" mode before my half marathon next weekend.  SO with that, here's a look at my week [starting with Sunday]:


Sunday started off the way a typical Saturday does - with a long run!  I had a volunteer training for an organization I am going to start volunteering regularly with (you may have heard of it but I won't share until all of the security clearance has gone through), so my regular long run got moved to Sunday morning.  It was actually perfect because Saturday was unseasonably warm for February but Sunday morning was perfect.  I completed the "dreaded eleven" in record time and rewarded myself with the annual coffee and cupcake tradition.


Sunday afternoon, while mostly spent in bed or at the kitchen table doing homework [and recovering from the dreaded eleven], I also signed up for my first full marathon!  In a matter of about 10 minutes that included convincing my dad to run with me, signing up and getting the confirmation email, my life seemed to go from 0mph to about 262 (lol get it?) but I am excited about getting started over the summer and training to push myself past the 13.1 boundary.


I spent a good chunk of the week at school this week, even when I didn't have class - Monday I had to do a portion of a writing assignment in the speech clinic, Wednesday I went to the library to do some early studying for midterms, and of course Tuesday & Thursday I spent going to class and trying to get ahead on studying/reading.  This coming week, my classmates and I have appropriately deemed "a designated hell week," complete with TWO midterm exams (luckily one each on 2 separate days), an in-class essay/analysis assignment, and a standardized patient encounter (luckily it's my partner's turn to do the interacting).  If all that weren't enough, we also have an exam and an assignment due the week AFTER spring break, but despite that we will still have time to prepare.  This week I took my study breaks more seriously than others, mostly by walking to do things instead of using public transit, reading instead of going on Facebook, logging some hours in the speech clinic, and snapping pictures of the gorgeous flower trees that have popped up around campus.  Word has it that peak cherry blossom season is coming in 2 weeks; I hate to be the one to say it, but I am excited for spring but will actually miss winter!  More on that later, but for now take a look at this GORGEOUS tree outside the building where our speech clinic is!


Last night, in one of my more spontaneous decisions since moving to DC, I gave up a night of studying for midterms to go with my uncle to the Washington Capitals hockey game!  Luckily enough, I only live about 10-15 minutes (by walking) from the Verizon Center, where I met up with my uncle just minutes before the game actually started.  I was the only one there not wearing red and didn't know anything about what was going on but still managed to have a great time!  Apparently it was a low-shooting, low-scoring game that got really heated in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period, but it was also perfect for me to witness my first NHL game.  One of the funniest parts of the game for me happened to be the fact that during each "intermission," there was a remote controlled inflatable car just flying around the arena...take a guess as to what was the first thing that came into my mind when I saw it...


Also, if you haven't met her already, say hello to my bitmoji friend Hannah Montana!  She doesn't want the world to know her identity just yet, so she's been easing her way into Snapchat before taking the social media world by storm.  She's also excited to be the official face of my marathon training [& running in general], which you can follow on my new instagram account that will be solely dedicated to running!  Hopefully this will nudge her a bit out of her shell, but for now she'll be sticking to Snapchat before the real fun commences - read, long runs longer than 12 miles...and maybe even starting with a 2 (whaaaaa????).  Check her out & follow my running adventures here!  And by the way, here's how she feels to officially be announced & welcomed to the blog:


Well, this week is unfortunately going to end on a much lower note than I want, but that means we can only go up from here, right?  I plan to spend pretty much all day studying with the exception of running & eating & sleeping - happy Friday to you, too.  Tomorrow I have the last long run of half marathon training - 12 miles to be exact, which is actually much more enjoyable (can't believe I just said that) and manageable (or that) than 11 for a lot of reasons.  Then it will pretty much just be books, books, books until Tuesday, which looks to be the busiest day of the week, and then trying to motivate myself to get through Thursday's exam, after which (& 2 classes later) I will be on SPRING BREAK!  In honor of that, enjoy this song which pretty much sums up how I feel about this coming week.

Happy Weekending, and I'll be back with a regular FriYAY post and some more running posts next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS