Running // You Know You're a ______ When

Monday, February 27, 2017

Greetings from the recovery bed!  Okay, so maybe I'm a bit dramatic.  I'm writing this from bed, not because I'm sick, not because I'm tired, but because when you wake up before the sun comes up to go run an ungodly distance (talking anywhere from 8-13.1 miles), you deserve to get back in bed.  No, it may not be the best thing for you but heck, it's what your body deserves...along with a vanilla iced latte & chocolate cupcake from Baked & Wired.


I hit the 100-mile mark for the month of February the other day, which is quite remarkable considering I took an extra day off at the beginning of the month with a nasty upper respiratory infection that kept me bedridden for one of my mid-distance runs.  It's also remarkable in that February isn't over quite yet...well, for a couple more days at least, and I still have 12 days until the next big race.  All that aside, running lately has given me some time to reflect.  I mean, what else do you do for hours on end while moving your body and listening to interesting combinations of music?  One of the big things swirling in my head lately has been the question "how do you're a runner?"  I asked this to my uncle the other week and he looked at me with a confused face and simply replied "Hannah, you're already there.  You are a runner."  But lately I've been wanting to answer the question for myself and so far the answers have been pretty shallow.  Like, last week I knew I was a runner when my mindset drifted from what was once the "dreaded weekend long run" to "oh, just 8 miles."  Or the other day when I realized I didn't remember when the last time I had a salad was (I realize this may not be the case for all runners but it is for me haha).  Or when I finally had my running routine down to a science.  Or, which has been the case for the last 3 years or so, when I did my laundry based on how many running outfits I had left.  There's probably a million more that I can think of, but we'll just get started there for now.


On to the point of this post...I added a new bullet to my list this weekend.  It's taken some time to think about, it took more research than I think was necessary (but who cares, anyway), and it took talking to a good 3-5 people before even seriously considering its possibility.  Short little backstory before getting to the bullet: when I was at UM (shocker), I was in Student Government Senate, which was advised by a wonderful person who will be referred to as H.  H is also a runner, and we connected last year over the fact that we were both running Disney Princess Half Marathon weekend - me the half and H the 5k.  H and I have kept in contact since I departed UM and moved to DC, and I caught up with her last week on account of her running the Disney Princess 5k AND 10k this past weekend!  I was so excited for her.  Now, I know H & I (no pun intended lol) are completely different people, BUT her running journey inspired me to do more with mine and I got to thinking and continuing my research.  Now, for the big one.  Come yesterday at 12:30 PM, after multiple conversations with friends and family, a long research & investigative process, a runner's high from an 11-mile PR, and some self-convincing, I have come to the bullet.  January of 2018, I, Hannah Abel, will be completing 26.2 miles at the 25th Annual Walt Disney World Marathon (mic drop)!


I am overjoyed & ecstatic (but also a wee bit nervous) to have the opportunity to participate in such a race.  Princess 2016 was such an amazing experience, but I look forward to this new challenge and pushing myself to achieve new goals I once deemed unattainable.  If you have any advice or words of wisdom, PLEASE share them with me throughout this journey.  It may be a little under 11 months out, but I am of the mindset that training happens 24/7/365...with that mindset, let the training BEGIN!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS