Welcome, Great Pumpkin!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Greetings from the library!  Yes, round 1 of midterms is over (hallelujah), but that also means that round 2 is just starting (groan).  At the same time, fall break is coming up soon, which means that we are basically at the middle of the term.  Luckily, though, with the weather changing & becoming pleasant enough to actually enjoy being outside without sweating-a phenomenon with which I have little to no experience-there are ample opportunities now to take fun study breaks.  And how else to enjoy a study break than by taking in my first true fall?


This past weekend, my roommate and I rented a car and made the trek up to Maryland for a visit to Butler’s Orchard, a family farm north of Bethesda.  Having only left the district once (& that being a trip to a mall where the metro drops you off literally inside it), we took the opportunity to escape big-city life and take in some less-urban culture.  We left DC around 10 in the morning, arriving in Maryland by noon (after dealing with some less-than-ideal traffic along the way).  When we got to Butler’s Orchard, we entered what I would consider fall paradise.


With pumpkin figurines everywhere, the atmosphere was absolutely perfect.  There were stands for all kinds of refreshments such as kettlecorn, apple cider donuts & caramel apples as well as fresh apple cider.  We enjoyed munching on our snacks as well as participating in some of the fun activities.  A band played live music, children could ride a pumpkin carriage or horses, and everyone had a laugh at the apple slingshot.  We took the opportunity to jump on a hayride out to the farm-owned pumpkin patch, where we had our own pumpkin photo shoot and brought home 4 baby pumpkins to paint and decorate the living room.  After successfully navigating our way through the massive corn maze and going down the sack slides, we paid a visit to the farm store.  While we didn’t buy anything, there was a huge assortment of fresh pies, fruit, vegetables, jams, and Halloween-themed decorations for sale.  It certainly got me in the mood that this is a season I truly love and wish that I had gotten to experience growing up.



Overall, it was a wonderful visit, and I am so glad that the weather worked in our favor so that we were able to go.  Hopefully I can return for the Pumpkin Festival sometime soon, but until then it’s back to the library for me as I push through my next few assessments before (what I consider to be) a well-deserved fall break.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS