The Silent Hopeful

Wednesday, November 9, 2016


My name is Hannah Abel, and among many of my fellow millenials, I voted in my second presidential election this past week.  I am a graduate student in the pursuit of a career that works with the disabled population, that works with children, and ultimately has an overall goal of helping people.  This past week I decided to help my fellow Americans by participating in the presidential election.  I conducted my research, interviewed several of my peers and ultimately came to the conclusion with who I felt was the best candidate for the job, despite much criticism in the public and the media.  I voted for the candidate who cares about the issues I care about, who cares about the populations in which both I and my friends reside, and who  I felt would make the best leader for our country in the twenty-first century.  Last night, the candidate of my choice was not elected president.

There are many reasons why I do not talk about politics on this blog.  Yes, I realize that I live in the most politically active city in America and I walk by the White House almost every day with people both taking pictures as tourists and protesting different policies.  I have even been inside of it.  I chose not to talk about politics because while, yes, politics do play a big role in my life and I should (and am) be becoming more aware of current events in the world, I utilize this blog to be a happy place of sorts; an escape where I can share the good and amazing experiences that I have had here in DC, along with some raw reflections on my current status of life or the occasional inspirational quote.  And in my opinion, politics never really fit that role until now.

I was six years old the first time I really remembered a presidential election.  I was in first grade and thought it was the coolest thing getting to go with my dad to the polls before going to school, especially because I still got an "I voted" sticker even though I was 12 years out from being of age.  Four years later in the fifth grade, I really came to understand and love the American political process.  My homework assignment that election night was to fill in a coloring map of the American electoral college and bring it into class the next day so that we as a class could compare results.  It was the first time I stayed up nearly all night after watching the news with my parents, and boy, was I excited.  At the prime age of 18, I made it a priority to register to vote immediately when I came home from camp that summer; I voted absentee for Florida and felt a sense of pride in knowing that I was honoring my fellow women before me who never earned that right as well as exercising my civic duty.  Today, I currently stand 0-2 on presidential elections, yet I am still hopeful.

Some might ask me why, after two unsuccessful voting attempts, why I would even consider voting in a future election.  And to me, the answer is simple- because America wouldn't be great without this opportunity.  For me, registering to vote was second nature, just as earning a driver's license at sixteen and going to college after high school - it was just something I knew that I had to do but at the same time wanted to do.  Each time that we cast our ballots, we cast a sense of hope that our country will go in the direction that we want it to; while in a way this seems selfish, it is America's way of allowing us to decide our future.  So, while the past 4 years and the next 4 years may not be the future that I have envisioned, it is what the majority wants and what the majority gets.  I cast my ballot as a "silent hopeful" of sorts, and until the time that we shall elect a new president, I will remain this way.  I am hopeful that, even though the candidate not of my choosing will serve as my elected leader, we will still succeed as a nation and continue to thrive.  I am hopeful that we will still honor our founding fathers and rise to the example that they set for us many years ago as American citizens.  I am hopeful that my friends who feel threatened, or hurt, or deeply saddened right now will have an opportunity to remain hopeful for a future that is bright and happy.  Because they deserve that.

It is often noted that my favorite quote of all time comes from the woman who served as our longest-lasting First Lady.  While I never got to experience her reign or wisdom, I have often reflected back on what I believe to be some of the wisest words out there in the world.  No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.  While some of the words that came out of this election resembled more of a fighting/screaming match or divorce than a presidential election, I still believe in this time that they reign true.  To me, this quote has many different meanings, but one that holds true right now is this.  We must, as a country, have control as to how we react to the changes that are taking place right now.  While it is easier said than done to control our emotions, we must not let the actions and comments from others bother us.   While it may feel like society is treating us like inferiors, it is our job now to assess ourselves and know how good we are to others.  Right now it feels as if society is telling us how to feel - we may feel threatened, we may feel hurt, we may feel worried, and we may feel concerned - this is human nature.  We must make no apologies for who we are, what we have done, or what we asked for.  Personally, I think that WE are valuable and powerful and great.  We voted for the option that we felt was best; that was our choice and 100% our own.  While it may not have been the popular opinion or desire, it is still ours and I hope we still hold onto it with hope for the future.  Your vote is your consent, and no one can make you feel inferior for that.  Because when you get to stand up for what you believe in and make that your conscious choice, there is nothing more that can be said.  WE are making history and promoting an America that WE believe is best for the people who WE care about and want to make the world better for.  We are selfish yet selfless in our desires.  And we care about the future of our country.  Don't try to tell me that that isn't great.

I personally could not be more relieved that this election season is over, yet I recognize that we have much more to do now that it is.  Now we must come together, pick up the broken pieces, and work together to keep creating the America that we hoped for.  It will be difficult but not impossible, and I hope that someday we will look back on this heartbreaking loss with just the faintest sense of silent hope.  Hope that we will rebuild this country to the greatness that it can and will be.  Hope that we can have a place in which we will be proud to call America our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS